I’m always puzzled when people say they don’t like the taste of tofu because tofu is tasteless. The taste heavily depends on the seasoning you use. Tofu isn’t as bland and boring as everyone makes it seem but you have to know how to make it delicious. I think what puts most people off isn’t the taste but the texture. However, the texture changes when it’s cooked.
I think tofu is delicious and I’m so hooked on it right now. Since trying it for the first time a few months ago, I have it at least twice a week. Whats not to love; It’s so good, versatile and protein packed. My kids love it especially when it’s roasted, they think it’s chicken.
A few months ago after doing 60 days of Whole30 and consuming so much meat, I decided to explore the vegetarian/vegan world and that’s how I stumbled across tofu. I’m currently transitioning to veganism and not for the reasons you think. (New post on why I’m going vegan coming soon).
I have had tofu in stir fries, roasted, blended in smoothies and today I’m sharing a recipe for tofu scramble. A simple, healthy, and delicious alternative to scrambled eggs. Turmeric is the secret ingredient that gives this scrambled tofu that beautiful yellow colour that resembles eggs.
If you are looking for something different for breakfast, that’s low calorie and high protein, definitely try this tofu scramble. You can also serve it for lunch or dinner paired with some vegetables or rice.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 250g firm or extra firm tofu, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion and garlic and sauté until soft and fragrant. Add tofu, turmeric and salt. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat, add the spinach and sun-dried tomatoes. Mix everything together, and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with toast or over rice.