If you ever needed proof that vegan food isn’t boring or lacking in flavour, this is it. I love this dish; it’s a delicious alternative to meat-based bolognese.
Bolognese used to be one of my favourite comfort foods before I transitioned to a vegan lifestyle. So, of course I had to recreate an alternative and this lentil bolognese didn’t disappoint. My kids loved it and it got the big tick of approval from my picky-meat loving hubby. You know it’s good when it has passed the ‘husband test’.
This dish is ridiculously simple and quick, yet the flavour is mind-blowing. I have been working on it for a while. I wanted to make sure it was super simple, flavourful and damn delicious.
And here it is, I hope you enjoy it.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 small capsicum, diced
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 x 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups lentils, cooked
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over low heat, and gently sauté the garlic for a minute then add the onion and pepper and sauté for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, herbs and spices. Increase the heat and bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the cooked lentils, and gently simmer for an additional 10 minutes or until the sauce has reduced down and slightly thickened.
- Serve over pasta, zucchini noodles or rice. Enjoy