Coconut water kefir is the most delicious, refreshing and rejuvenating drink. It has become one of my favourite drinks. It’s basically a naturally fermented drink made from coconut water.
This delicious drink is packed full of healthy living probiotics, enzymes, vitamins and minerals essential for digestion. It boosts energy, aids in digestion, reduces sugar cravings and it’s so easy to make. The funny thing is I don’t like coconut water but I love coconut water kefir. It’s fizzy with a sour taste.
You can make coconut water kefir in two different ways; using kefir culture or kefir grains. I recommend kefir starter for beginners as it’s easier and less intimidating. Here is the recipe using kefir starter so you can give it a go and start reaping the benefits.
- 4 cups unsweetened coconut water
- 1 packet of kefir starter
- 1 Litre glass jar, sterilised
- 1 Cinnamon stick (optional)
- Warm the coconut water to 92 degrees. Add the kefir starter and mix well with a wooden spoon until it’s all dissolved. Pour into the glass jar, add cinnamon stick and cover with the lid.
- Allow the coconut water to sit for 24-48 hours, not longer. When the coconut water turns milky, fizzy and taste tangy and sour, it’s ready. Transfer to the fridge and keep for up to 14 days.
- To make a new batch take out 1/4 cup of kefir before transferring to the fridge and add to another 4 cups of coconut water.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice.