With the abundance of fresh produce spring brings; it’s time to put away those comfort foods and spring clean your diet with light, fresh salads.
Finally spring is here!
The days are warmer, the birds are singing and the flowers are blooming. It’s the season of rebirth and new beginnings. Exciting!
To welcome this new season of bountiful produce, I thought I would share some tips on how to make the best salad. I have also included a simple delicious fresh salad recipe.
Often when people hear the word salad, they think boring iceberg lettuce with tomatoes and dressing. But salad can be whatever you want it to be, you just need to add a little bit of creativity to the mix.
7 simple steps to a hearty salad.
- Choose your base: Start with some leafy greens such as kale, spinach, chards, rocket, and lettuce. The darker the leaves, the more nutrients they contain. You can mix and match different leafy greens.
- Add some veggies: It’s a salad, so you do need to add more veggies. But the good news is the veggies don’t have to be raw. You can use sautéd, grilled, roasted, or fermented vegetables. Take your pick. Choose a variety of veggies to bring in different texture, colour, flavour, and a nutritional boost. Examples of add in veggies are carrots, cabbage, cucumber, cauliflower, roasted sweet potato, tomatoes and broccoli.
- Add protein – Adding protein turns a side salad into a meal that will keep you full for hours. Some healthy vegan protein to power up your salads are tofu, a handful of nuts/seeds, beans, lentils and tempeh.
- Add some grains/carbs – To bulk up your salad and make it more filling, you can add some grains such as quinoa, barley, couscous, bulgur etc.
- Sweeten it up with fruit – Fruit freshens and sweetens up the salad. It also adds a textural variety and a nutritional boost. Berries are my favourite fruits to add to salads.
- Add something crunchy – Adds variety in texture to your salad. I love it when I get some crunch with each and every bite. Think nuts, seeds, toasted quinoa and sprouts
- Dress it up – You can easily whip up vinaigrette dressing with simple ingredients you already have in your pantry (oil. vinegar and herbs and spices). Lemon juice is my favourite fresh salad dressing. Steer clear of store-bought, packaged dressings, they are full of nasties.
Here’s a simple salad recipe to get your spring off to a good start. I love this salad, it’s so delicious and satisfying. It’s packed full of hearty, crunchy goodness; red cabbage, rocket leaves, sprouts, avocado, blueberries and pumpkin seeds. I simply drizzled lemon juice as dressing and it was perfect.
May spring bring you a bountiful harvest of love, happiness, joy and peace.
- 1/4 head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup rocket leaves
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Handful of sprouts
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Handful of pepitas
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Garlic salt
- Add the red cabbage, rocket leaves, sprouts to a bowl and toss everything together. Top with avocado blueberries, and pepitas.
- Season to taste with garlic salt and drizzle lemon juice.
- To power up this salad, add some tofu.